Friday, April 11, 2008

Views and (Semi) News

We interrupt this program to bring you the following special report from the sporting world. The views and news presented here do not reflect the views and opinions of this network or its affiliates.

****

So Kansas won the NCAA men's basketball championship. No surprise to a lot of office tourney bracket players, I know, there were a few in my pool! I, on the other hand, chose Stanford and North Carolina to face off for the title and predicted the Cardinal would win it all. That prediction fell along the wayside in the Sweet 16 for Stanford and in the Final Four for North Carolina. No matter, the tournament was a lot of fun to watch...just as it is every year!

Now, if only the folks at NCAA headquarters would wise up and institute a football playoff tournament! I know the BCS was supposed to be a good thing for college football, but I don't think it has been. There are many ways the NCAA could institute a football playoff, but it is evident that won't be happening anytime soon.

****

The NBA regular season is winding down and it's anyone's guess who the team to beat in the West is. I don't think I've ever seen such a tight race so late in a season. It's obvious that the Celtics are the team to beat in the East and will likely be the favorite if they reach the NBA Finals for the first time since 1987. Like every season, I'm pulling for the Lakers and would love to see a Lakers-Celtics final again. The 1984, '85, and '87 matchups between these two storied franchises are NBA Finals I grew up on. Sure, if it happens, the players will be different, but it doesn't matter; what would matter is that the two organizations that helped build the NBA Finals into what it is today would be locking horns for the whole enchilada once again.

****

Major League Baseball is underway again. I watched my beloved Dodgers on ESPN on Opening Day and it did my mood well to see them blank the Giants. What I can't believe, however, is that Larry Bowa is wearing the Dodger Blue. I admire Joe Torre and am glad he's the Dodger manager, but why did he have to bring Bowa on board? I mean, how could you hire someone who was a Dodger killer in his playing days? I know it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but when I think of a list of former players that should NEVER have anything to do with my beloved Dodgers, Bowa is on that list.

Others who should NEVER don the Dodger Blue include: Craig Nettles, Barry Bonds, Dale Murphy, Gary Carter, Reggie Jackson, Mike Schmidt, and Pete Rose. I'm sure I could come up with more, but that's a good start.

I trust Torre will make sound baseball decisions while at the helm of the Dodgers. I will have to trust him on the Bowa addition. But my inner child who lived and died with the Dodgers in the 70s and 80s is booing at the top of his lungs.

****

Former NFL quarterback Scott Mitchell was recently hired as the head football coach at Springville (Utah) High School. Mitchell is an SHS alum who led the Red Devils to the Utah state football championship in 1986. My son will be a senior this coming season and is very excited, as are all of his teammates, to have Mitchell as their head dude.

I'm not convinced that the powers that be at SHS went out and found the best available person for the job, but it will be interesting to see what unfolds for the SHS 2008 football team. If Mitchell doesn't lead the team to the playoffs, at least he will help fill the stands and take some of the limelight away from nearby powerhouse, and regional rival, Timpview.

****

This has been a special report from the world of sports. We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming.

1 comment:

The Morrows said...

Welcome to the blogosphere.
I have total faith and confidence that you will establish yourself a niche of followers.